One of my biggest quests has been to understand the answer to that question. The answer to this question has helped me to help others create the happiness they deserve. After all if we could understand why people fail all we would have to do is do the reverse….Simple!
That sounds reasonable, in fact most people already know what to do, but on the whole they don’t do it.
- Many people know smoking will kill them, but they continue anyway.
- Many people over eat and even though they can see themselves getting fatter, but they keep eating.
- Many people are struggling financially, they know what they have done so far has not worked, but they carry on doing it anyway.
- Many people are very wealthy, they know that money is not fulfilling their happiness, but they carry on in a single minded quest for more cash, never feeling fulfilled.
All these people are intelligent people they know what they are doing is not working for them, but they carry on hoping life will change even if they don’t and of course it doesn’t.
The problem is due to this: INSTANT GRATIFICATION
I want to feel good now and if it’s doesn’t harm me now then I will ignore it.
- Health – If smoking a cigarette killed people that day, would people would do it?
- Money – If you knew that just a £3.00 pint of beer per day actually costs you £30k over 20 years if you had invested it at just 3%. Would you have that extra pint?
Lots of little things in the wrong direction is the cause of most peoples problems
You see it is the little things we do every day that makes the difference, but because society is set up for pleasure now! We don’t see the point in saving after all it’s only £3.00 or it’s only a cake.
Imagine if someone cut out 100 calories per day, consistently saved 10% of all they earned, walk an extra mile a day, told their partner how much they loved them every day. Spend 30 minutes a day learning something new. Planning these little steps would make a massive difference to anyones life in the future.
You see, these little things do not take a lot of effort to do, but for most, it too easy to not do, becuase the result is not instant, they can’t see the long-term effects and so they choose those little steps in the wrong direction. The result is catastrophic for peoples lives.
It may not affect them today or in 2 years, but in 6, 10 ,15 years the story will be very different, heart problems, no money, relationship a disaster, over weight, and negative about life others and the world.
The next time you decide to go for a quick fix to help you to feel better, think about how long you felt better for and does it really make sense? Because this could cost you more than you think.